Simply put, Medical Massage Therapy is the focused use of advanced massage techniques to treat a specific condition and achieve a specific outcome. In some cases the condition treated is first diagnosed by the patient’s physician. In other cases the medical massage therapist simply treats the patient based on the patient’s subjective description of his symptoms and following a thorough assessment of the patient’s muscles, posture, etc. Techniques used during a medical massage often include neuromuscular therapy, myofascial release, and lymphatic drainage massage among many others; however they can also include more common techniques such as relaxation massage. The main difference between a medical massage and a regular massage is that it is performed by therapists with advanced training and the treatment is structured to obtain a specific outcome.
At Preston Family Chiropractic we understand the importance of keeping your health at the forefront This is why we utilize medical massage to help you achieve the highest level of health possible. Medical massage treats the following conditions.
Medical massage is useful in addressing conditions such as:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Piriformis syndrome
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Pain associated with bulged or injured spinal disks (medical massage cannot ‘fix’ the disk, but can help alleviate much of the pain associated with the injury).
- Pain associated with pregnancy
- Range of motion issues
- Back and Neck pain
- Plantar fasciitis (involving pain in the foot)
- Repetitive use injuries such as those listed and tennis elbow, Golfer’s elbow
- Pain associated with restricted fascia
- Pain associated with postural imbalances
- Muscle cramps
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Sports/Exercise injuries
- Work Injuries
- Auto Injuries
- Edema (swelling)
- Injuries sustained in traumas such as falls or automobile accidents
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (numbness/tingling in hands/arms)